Sunday, November 16, 2008

ID and Textile collaboration

Industrial design has given me different views and aspects of seeing objects. I love the fact that ID is very close to users and a broad field that has possibilities to develop and grow. Sophomore ID has taught me very fundamental skills and user studies to be designers. Here again, I felt restricted focusing so much on user groups that becomes too industrial. The user studies are necessary and important to help us developing successful design solutions, but it is not the only approach. There is a room in ID for a more emotional, expressive, and fine arts approach. For me textiles and id collaboration will be a new range of expressive ID.

Textile always has been wowed me. I can’t help to have interests in textile, whenever I see interesting patterns or colors of fabric. What intrigues me the most in textile is that you design patterns and make another pattern by repeating them. This process can create different feelings and a whole new fabric. There are repeated patterns but sometimes textile designers manipulate them so well that it does not seem to be a pattern anymore. The other fact that I am very attached to textile is that it has both very fine art aspects and industrial aspects. Designing patterns and color choice could be a tool to express you as an artist, but at the same time it has to have certain value for production. ID to me is more about production; I took Babson and Olin class which we produce a product with business and engineer chools. Most of time we as designers, have to negotiate and compromise with people and reality. The reality is that the product is worth to invest in or not. This process is a preview of what most of industrial designers will do after graduating schools.

I want to push fine art, emotional aspects of textile further and collaborate with ID. I thnk i will have more advantages of studying and exploring both ID and Textile, beacuse both departments are directly connected with users in different ways, and means. I imagine myself to design unique patterns that will be proper and used for decorating runaway stages which can be seen as an art work. I want to design something that is expressive and emotional by using different materials, colors, and patterns, but also has value for production.

No comments: